Lloyd’s Register Group
Lloyd’s Register has been actively working on ship recycling projects since 1996.
In addition to being a founder member of ISRA, we’re the International Association of Classification Societies’ (IACS) representative for the Hong Kong Convention at the IMO, and have been instrumental in the development of the ISO 30000 management system standard for ship recycling.
Almost 1,500 ships have signed up for our Inventory of Hazardous Materials certification service, and we are proud to offer a supporting suite of ‘green ship recycling’ services, helping our clients promote best practice and avoid potential liabilities.
Our in depth experience of working with yards in China and in Turkey, through the experience of actual recycling projects and also through ISRA; our in-depth knowledge of recycling legislation, standards and practices through our work at IMO, ISO and IACS; our proven track record in Hong Kong Convention compliant IHM certification and Final Surveys; and Lloyd’s Register’s unrivalled Audit During Recycling experience, are all well respected and offer peace of mind to recycling facilities, and their clients.
Our ship recycling services
- Independent LRQA (Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance) certification of recycling facilities to a recognised international standard
- Comprehensive audits checking management systems, facility status and financial viability, method of accepting ships, method of recycling, emergency provisions, and safe and environmentally sound operation; issue of reputable ISO 30000 certification
Ship Recycling Facility Plan (SRFP) Assessments:
- Independent third party assessment of the SRFP in compliance with the Hong Kong Convention and the EU Regulation on Ship Recycling
- Issue of Compliance Report and Statements of Compliance in accordance with (a) Hong Kong Convention and (b) EU Regulation
ISRA Membership Recycling Facility Assessments:
- Independent third party assessment of recycling facilities, against ISRA standards
- LR pre-site visit documentation review and LRQA Environmental Auditor site visit; issue of Declaration to ISRA summarising findings
Audit During Recycling:
- Safe, environmentally sound recycling of ships and independent verification of the process, in accordance with existing and forthcoming legislation
- Final Survey, pre-assessment of the SRFP, and inspections during recycling (including downstream hazardous waste management); issue of ‘Ship Recycling Statement of Compliance’
Inventory of Hazardous Materials (IHM):
- Approval and certification for shipowners wishing to achieve early compliance with the Hong Kong Convention, and meet relevant requirements of the EU Regulation on Ship Recycling
- Specialist teams provide software, advice, approval, survey and certification, for newbuildings and existing ships, regardless of Class; issue of ‘IHM Statement of Compliance’
- Final Survey of ships in accordance with Hong Kong Convention requirements, ahead of legislation entering into force
- Final review of the IHM (including Parts II and III), the Ship Recycling Plan, and the SRFP; issue of ‘Ready for Recycling Statement of Compliance’
Approval of Hazardous Materials Service Suppliers:
- Independent approval of expert companies providing IHM and hazardous materials sampling and testing services to shipowners
- Approval of certification, documentation, procedures, personnel, equipment and laboratory facilities to recognised national and international standards, minimizing risk to clients